Retirement is a time to do more of what you love, whether that’s through an active hobby like hiking or through sports like tennis and golf, or if it’s a relaxing activity like reading, writing, or embracing your creative side with the arts and music. But in retirement, it’s important to take advantage of the time you have to rest as well. Watching movies and shows is a great way to enjoy a night in. Consider these films for your next movie marathon!
New Movies That Resonate
- Ford vs. Ferrari– A great watch for car lovers, this movie stars Matt Damon as Carroll Shelby, the first American race car driver to win Le Mans.
- The Farewell– A comedic, emotional, and moving story of complicated family dynamics that culminates when they discover that their beloved grandmother has a short time left to live.
- The Wife– Dive into the secrets, betrayals, and love of a couple’s forty years of marriage.
- The Old Man & the Gun– Robert Redford and Sissy Spacek star in a biographical film about how a career criminal pulls off a prison escape in his 70s.
- It’s Complicated– Meryl Streep and Alec Baldwin play a divorced couple that rekindles their spark and find themselves attracted to each other once again.
- The Meyerowitz Stories – Adam Sandler and Ben Stiller play brothers in a dysfunctional family whose father figure (Dustin Hoffman) shapes his sons’ lives with narrow expectations and stubborn pride.
Rewatch the Classics
- Gone With the Wind– A movie your parents may have loved, this 1939 Civil War film with Clark Gable and Vivien Leigh romantically depicts a bygone era.
- Vertigo– A 1958 American psychological thriller film directed and produced by Alfred Hitchcock stars James Stewart in a timelessly captivating story.
- Lawrence of Arabia– A gorgeous 1962 biopic of an unlikely player in the formation of the modern Middle East with an Oscar-winning performance by Peter O’Toole.
- It’s a Wonderful Life– Frank Capra becomes a household name with this story of an average Joe (James Stewart) whose life is saved by an angel.
- Jaws– Steven Spielberg’s terrifying 1975 film stars Roy Schneider, Richard Dreyfuss, and a giant man-eating shark.
- One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest– Like his renowned performance in The Shining, Jack Nicolson plays an insane man in this adapted comedy-drama film.
Whether you choose to watch films from your formative years or new films, movies can be a way for you to relax and unwind. And it can even be a thought-provoking activity to think about the stories you remember from your younger years in a new context.
Retirement is a time of adventure and relaxation. It shouldn’t be a time to worry if your retirement finances can afford your lifestyle or if your finances could be at risk of depleting. And that’s why we’re here. Click HERE to sign up for a time to talk to us at Campbell Wealth Management.